Saturday, June 13, 2009

Feminism

I was just on Momversation and they had a post up about Feminism, asking whether we considered ourselves feminists. I definitely do.

I am a proud feminist.

Contrary to the stereotype I don't see it as trying to be better than men or fighting them,but just demanding to be seen as equal. Equal pay, equal protection, equal responsibilities. Makes sense right? Paying a woman less than a man, or denying a woman a job because of her gender are and definitely should be illegal, but I know it still happens. On the other hand, I don't think ex-wives getting huge alimony payments for the rest of their lives to be particular feminist (but then I don't think it's fair when it goes the other way either [Kevin Federline!]).

If there's ever a draft again I think women should be drafted under the same criteria as men, unless they have a very young child that they are still nursing. Probably parents of young children should be exempt in general actually. When child custody is decided each parent should get equal time unless there is a valid reason. I think adults should have to take care of themselves. I think women are just as capable as men and I truly don't understand how it can be argued otherwise. That's my take on feminism. We don't need to be coddled, but neither should we be targeted because of our sex.

Anyway, there's a whole intersting discussion going on at Momversation but I had enough to say that I wanted to post it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment