Sunday, July 26, 2009

NYC Apartment hunt, continued

I've been diligently combing Craigslist for a few months now trying to find an affordable studio apartment that I can move to in Brooklyn, and this is what I've learned:

-There are a lot of "missionaries" who have "just moved to Africa" and need you to send them a deposit and rent before they can "send you the key." From Africa. They don't need references or credit scores or anything, because they just know that you are the "clean god fearing tenant" they were looking for. Anyone who actually buys this story probably also owns an invisible bridge somewhere.

-My budget resembles that of small town potato farmers new to the big city and is enough to send seasoned New Yorkers into gales of laughter.

-Having cats doesn't help.

-The economy apparently isn't that bad.

Therefore I am still looking. I recently saw a tip on a website that says to walk around the neighborhood you like talking to old men and charming them into revealing top secret cheap apartments to you. I'm a little doubtful about this tactic as my attempts at being effortlessly charming resemble a bull trying to pick out a new china set. Plus, it can be hard to tell apart "helpful elderly gentleman" and "lecherous old sex offender." Still, I'm not ruling it out. Beggers can't be choosers. If anyone has any tips, I'll be happy to hear them. If you are living in another country, however, and want me to send you a wire transfer in exchange for keys, keep it to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment