Friday, November 27, 2009

Weird Thanksgiving

I spent Thanksgiving with my boyfriend, in the house of a stranger, at the invitation of a casual acquaintance.  Who ditched us about 45 minutes into the dinner to go feed someone's cat after hugging and cheek-kissing me like five times.  It was a little strange and awkward.  Not that I don't appreciate the invite.  But there was NO MASHED POTATO!!!  The only reason I didn't bring any (I brought wild rice, green beans, pecan pie* and home made bread) was that it seemed like such a staple that of course it would be there. And while there were 10 pies and 3 turkeys, no one thought to bring any kind of potato dish.  And being that I'm a little bit of a holiday food dictator, the lack of mashed potatoes hit hard.

While grateful for the invitation, it was a relief to say bye to everyone and retreat to my place to watch Hancock with the boy (He gave it three stars, I gave it four).  A little light hearted witty action movie action was just what was needed, especially when we incorporated a drinking game into the action (he threw a car! Drink! Shoved a head up an ass! Drink!).

I have left over wild rice and green beans I'm eating today, but am still mourning the mashed potatoes.

Christmas will not be left to chance like that. The preparations start now.

*Pecan pie was super easy to make and turned out sooooooo goooood.  I can't find the recipe I used but it was (about) 3 beaten eggs, 3/4 cups corn syrup, 3/4 cup white sugar, pie crust, 1 cup pecans, pinch salt and teaspoon vanilla.  Pecans pre-toasted 5 minutes, pie crust precooked for five minutes.  Everything else mixed up (including pecans) and poured into the pie crust and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.  If I've forgotten something, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment